Tuesday, September 1, 2026

Music doesn't need lyrics to be captivating

 Hello Angels!

    As someone who listens to a wide range of musical genres, one that I continually return to is the category of instrumental pieces. I adore listening to rich, warm jazz numbers, or grand, atmospheric symphonies, just as much as I love trip-hop, rap, rock, etc. In fact, I'd go so far as to say that pieces without lyrics often evoke stronger emotions in me than those that have them. It seems common to use genres like western classical as ambient noise, rather than listening to them with the same intention, intensity, and focus as you would any other song. This practice has always puzzled me. In my mind, orchestral music demands attention, and can only be properly experienced as a main event, rather than an afterthought or background noise. 
    Whenever I'm feeling bitter, sad, or overwhelmed, I always turn to my "no words" Spotify playlist, for I can always count on the compositions to provide catharsis in times of need. It is because of this that I want to highlight several instrumental works I adore. To make things simpler (since some of these pieces well exceed 10 minutes) I will be providing time stamps of moments in each piece that I feel are the most beautiful/worth listening to. I strongly encourage you to give these a listen, even if you just jump to the timestamps I promise it'll be worthwhile. Enjoy! 


Quick note: I'm choosing not to refer to these pieces as classical music because many of them fall outside the scope of the definition (despite being orchestral movements with complex instrumentals). Technically, the strict definition of classical music refers to an era from the 1750s to 1830 (think Mozart and Beethoven), which most of these compositions do not fall within. While looser interpretations exist, most experts still do not consider movie/TV scores to be truly classical, and since I've included a few here I've chosen not to refer to them as such. 





  • Rhapsody in Blue—George Gershwin 
Starting off with perhaps my favorite composition of all time, Rhapsody in Blue is everything I want in music. It fuses sophisticated jazz with a more classic piano component, and does so beautifully. The piece from start to finish is electric, triumphant, and incredibly unique. While it sits at a staggering 16:27 runtime, I honestly think the length is necessary. The piece feels like a musical journey, beginning in one place, transforming into an entirely different composition, and finishing full-circle. One of my favorite aspects of Rhapsody in Blue is the dramatic change in tone just after the halfway mark. Gershwin was able to weave two seemingly different parts of a composition together, yet make it feel seamless. I have so much reverence for this piece, and listening to it brings me both sorrow and joy in the best ways possible. 

Time stamp: 10:12 To fully appreciate this moment, I encourage you to listen to the whole piece! 


  • Piano Concerto No. 2 in C Minor, Op. 18: Adagio sostenuto—Sergei Rachmaninoff 
If any composition could make me cry, it would probably be this one. Piano Concerto No. 2 is hauntingly beautiful, and evokes feelings of pain, longing, regret, triumph, and hope. It builds gradually as the piece progresses, leading to glorious grand finale. This piece is a monumental demonstration of late-romantic Russian compositions, and is a sweeping, captivating musical experience. Much like Rhapsody in Blue, this composition is lengthy with a 10:44 runtime, but just as before I don't think that any part of the piece feels drawn out or redundant. An extended musical build-up is necessary to fully appreciate the climactic ending, and Rachmaninoff executes this perfectly. The lush, romantic piano is brilliant, and the final minute feels like a dream. 

Time stamp: 9:17 One of my favorite musical endings of all time, and perhaps my favorite chord progressions. 
 

  • No. 14, Pas de Deux—Pyotr Illyich Tchaikovsky
This piece is simply angelic. Opening with melodic scales and ending on one of the most dramatic climaxes, Tchaikovsky's "Pas de Deux" is nothing short of perfection. I first listened to this piece when I saw the Nutcracker ballet as a toddler, and ever since I have been in awe of Tchaikovsky's compositions. "Pas de Deux" plays while the Sugarplum Fairy and her prince dance together, and is filled with grandeur, drama, and emotion unlike any other. The expert use of cellos and harps magnify the dream-like atmosphere, and create an incredibly immersive ballet experience. I love how "Pas de Deux" builds upon itself effortlessly, with crescendos that match the rigor of the ballerina's steps. Tchaikovsky is a brilliant composer, one of my all time favorites, and this piece is a testament to his astonishing musical prowess.

Time stamp: 3:16—3:51 Incredible use of accelerating pace and a powerful orchestral sound.
 

  • Adagio of Spartacus and Phrygia—Aram Khachaturian 
 As a pivotal moment in the Spartacus ballet, the "Adagio of Spartacus and Phyrgia" is as much a tender balled as it is a surging, intense theme. I recently came across this piece, and ever since I have been listening to it non-stop. While I haven't seen Spartacus, nor do I know much about the plot, judging from how powerful this piece is I imagine it's a spectacular performance. The "Adagio of Spartacus and Phyrgia" takes on a multitude of moods throughout its duration, switching rapidly between them making for an engaging listening experience. Feelings of love, uncertainty, triumph, relief, and danger can be felt throughout. As the piece ends, you are left with a similar feeling of love and tenderness as the start, however this time tinged with an air of unease. Khachaturian's Adagio is a masterful example of how even without words, and entire story can be conveyed.

Time stamp: 6:12 Nothing short of powerful. 


  • Buckbeak's Flight—John Williams
John Williams is one of, if not the best composers when it comes to crafting movie scores. His work is iconic, and if I could go into detail about my favorite compositions by him I'd probably be writing forever. Despite his countless, award-winning pieces (such as his themes from Jaws, Star Wars, or E.T.), no work has evoked such wondrous emotions in me as "Buckbeak's Flight". If you've seen Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Askaban (which I'm sure most of you have), then you'll likely remember that this piece occurs when Harry is riding Buckbeak the hippogriff for the first time. A magical scene deserves an equally magical piece to accompany it, and that is exactly what "Buckbeak's Flight" is. Starting off with a bang with the use of pounding, rhythmic drums, and quickly turning into a fantastic, dramatic melody, John Williams was able to perfectly replicate the awe of the movie scene. "Buckbeak's Flight" holds such a special place in my heart, and I can't help but feel nostalgic every time I listen to it. It captures the magic of the Harry Potter universe beautifully. 

Time stamp: 1:20 A truly magical moment fitting for Harry Potter. 


  • Light of the Seven—Ramin Djawadi
I had such a difficult time deciding which Game of Thrones piece to include in this post, because nearly everything that Ramin Djawadi composes is spectacular. However, if anyone has watched the show you'll likely understand why I landed on "Light of the Seven". Playing during one of the best opening sequences of all time, and one of the show's most astonishing moments. this piece is a masterclass in using musical components to build tension. Beginning with a simple piano that gives the piece a sense of unease, "Light of the Seven" oozes uncertainty, and warns viewers that something isn't right. When the music slows down, and the piece appears to end altogether, the piano resumes once again, this time much stronger. The addition of an organ, strings, and haunting child vocals gives the piece more depth and adds to it's already haunting quality. The song would be incomplete without them. As "Light of the Seven" progresses, it becomes more intense, and mirrors the rising stress of the scene. The final two minutes of the piece are boiling with gripping anticipation; beautifully so. Ending with a bang, "Light of the Seven" solidifies it's spot as one of the best pieces in the entire series, and one of my personal favorites. 

Time stamp: None. Okay, I know I'm going back on my word but hear me out! This song can really only be appreciated if you listen all the way through, and hear different musical components as they build. Yes, it's long, but so so worth it—trust me. 

3 comments:

  1. 100% agree!! Classical music can evoke something so emotional and tender. I cannot listen to Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake or The Nutcracker without stopping what I'm doing and just... getting immersed in it. Swan Lake op. 20, act 2, No. 10 scene. moderato, especially just takes my breath away. It's so beautiful. And same with some movie OSTs. There's nothing like John Williams for me. He literally made the soundtracks to my childhood. His work on Star Wars was phenomenal, I can't listen to Leia's theme without getting emotional or literally crying. Harry Potter, E.T.... the man's a genius.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh you get it!! I'm so in love with Swan Lake, pretty much everything Tchaikovsky has composed is phenomenal. Same goes for John Williams. I'm so glad you resonated with this post <3333

      Delete
  2. As an ex-ballet girl, I was just about to tell you to listen to Pas de Deux asap until I saw you already listed it!! It really is my favorite piece ever, Tchaikovsky is my fav composer, omg everything about it is incredible. I'm a music major in college, and knowing that it is basically just a G major descending scale over and over makes it so cool. Like you can just build on the same simple element over and over, and really make it mean something... plus I got to hear my university symphony orchestra perform it and I got chills. Anyway, I love this so much and you have great taste!!!! <3

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post!

Journal Entry #3

 

⋅˚₊‧ Scribble Wall ‧₊˚ ⋅