Hey angels!
I just moved into my apartment and theres literally nothing for me to do. Like no one else is moved yet, classes haven't started, so I have nothing to keep me busy. Sooo I thought I'd write about something fun to cure my boredom so here it is!
I loveee watching movies. I wouldn't consider myself a connoisseur or anything, nor do I like pretentious films, but when it comes to discerning the quality of movies I like to think I have a pretty good radar. That being said, as you'll see pretty quickly I have a very specific genre of movie I gravitate towards, so if that isn't your vibe I totally get it. Anyway, I thought it would be fun to talk about some of my most beloved films that I consistently return to when there is nothing else to watch. Without further ado, here are (in no particular order), four movies that I absolutely love!
- No Country for Old Men—The Coen brothers
I love this movie with all of my heart, and I honestly struggle to find many (or any) flaws with it. To summarize, this film follows an intense, ruthless cat and mouse chase that occurs in the aftermath of a drug deal gone wrong. When a man named Llewlyn Moss steals what cash remains at the scene and attempts to keep his earnings hidden, he quickly becomes stalked by a psychopathic killer named Anton Chigurh. Also involved in the conflict is sheriff Ed Tom Bell, who attempts to track down Chigurh while protecting Moss. I know this sounds like a lot going on, but this film does an incredible job of seamlessly integrating all of these storylines. The movie is set in a rural Texas area, and as a result there is a palpable sense of unease, isolation, anxiety, and dread. Similarly to one of my other favorite movies, Fargo (also written/directed by the Coen brothers), No Country for Old Men uses a seemingly straightforward conflict as a vehicle for a much more complex theme, illustrating the conflict between justice, wealth, and good vs. evil. Perhaps the most striking aspect of this movie is the brilliant acting and character development. Chigurh (played by Javier Bardem) is one of the most iconic antagonists in film history, and Bardem does an astonishing job of portraying Chigurh's deadpan affect and psychopathic behavior. If you like gritty western thrillers, this movie is perfect for you!
- Silence of the Lambs—Jonathan Demme
Can you tell I like psychological thrillers yet? In any case, Silence of the Lambs is the one film that, if asked, I would say is my all time favorite. It has everything you want in a movie: A stacked cast (Jodie Foster and Anthony Hopkins are perfection), character portrayals with nuance and depth, a terrifying central plot, and astonishing twists. Centering around protagonist Clarice Starling, a top trainee at the FBI, the story follows her as she interviews the brilliant but violent killer Hannibal Lecter. She hopes that Lecter will provide insight into the ongoing murders committed by "Buffalo Bill". The plot is very disturbing, and the character interactions even more so. Nevertheless, I don't think the horrific story dampens the quality of the film—if anything it invigorates it and gives the characters a greater sense of urgency. The most compelling aspect of Silence of the Lambs is the relationship between Starling (Foster) and Lecter (Hopkins) and their respective portrayals. From the moment they first meet, it is clear just how contrasting they are from one another, a literal example of good vs evil. Their back and forths are electric, and it's no wonder that both Foster and Hopkins took home best actor/actress wins for their performances. In fact, Silence of the Lambs famously swept the Oscars, winning the "big five" categories (best picture, best director, best actor, best actress, and best adapted screenplay). Anthony Hopkin's portrayal of Hannibal Lecter is perhaps one of the greatest performances of all time, and despite his ~20 minutes of screen time he still managed to take home an Oscar. Long story short, Silence of the Lambs is amazing, and if you aren't deterred by disturbing and gruesome crimes, it's a must-watch.
- The Princess Bride—Rob Reiner
Taking a sharp left turn here, The Princess Bride is a stark contrast to the films previously mentioned. It is a fantasy fueled adventure, with a beautiful love story, iconic characters, and exciting, well choreographed battles. The movie revolves around the relationship between Buttercup (Robin Wright) and Westley (Cary Elwes), two lovers that were torn apart and are desperately trying to get back to one another. Their romance between is nothing less than swoon-worthy, and it's safe to say that when my ten year old self watched this movie for the first time I was head over heels in love with Westley. The Princess Bride has so many iconic, quotable moments, from the battle between Inigo Montoya and Westley ("My name is Inigo Montoya. You killed my father. Prepare to die."), to Westley saying "as you wish" when responding to Buttercup—and it still holds up to this day! Beyond the action-packed adventure that forces Westley to overcome multiple foes on his path to rescuing Buttercup, the film itself is visually breathtaking. Leaning fully into the fantasy dreamland-like atmosphere, the sets and color grading evoke a sense of nostalgia, light, and joy. Reiner's ability to seamlessly blend multiple genres (including satire, romance, action, fantasy, and comedy), makes the film a dynamic and entertaining crowd pleaser. Even during more intense or dramatic moments, the film never takes itself too seriously, leading to an ironic performance that is as funny as it is endearing. Having first seen this movie as a young child, it will forever be nostalgic to me. If you haven't seen it yet, go watch it now!!
- The Shining—Stanley Kubrick
This movie is my favorite horror movie of all time (besides Silence of the Lambs), and one that I think stands the test of time. The story follows Jack and Wendy Torrance, along with their son Danny, as they begin a new life living in the isolated Overlook Hotel. The longer they stay, things become increasingly unsettling, and it is quickly apparent that nothing is as it seems. One of my favorite aspects of this movie is how Kubrick was able to expertly convey a sense of dread. While many movies rely on dramatic, orchestral scores get the job done, Kubrick used intentionally placed classical compositions rather than an original soundtrack. The score does not feel overdone, nor does it detract from the horror qualities by cheapening the suspense. Additionally, the lack of music often adds to the disturbing quality of the film, and makes dramatic sequences even more astonishing. The setting itself is beautifully haunting, and the isolated nature of the Hotel makes the stakes feel much higher. One cannot talk about The Shining without addressing the performances by Shelly Duvall and Jack Nicholson. Both actors poured their souls into these characters, and were able to wonderfully capture their attitudes as they shifted from contentment to terror, and from annoyance to mania (respectively). Even Danny Lloyd, who plays their young son, portrayed his role authentically and added to the terror of the film. However much I adore this movie, it is worth discussing the significant controversies surrounding it. For one, it was well known that Duvall was subjected to intense scrutiny by Kubrick, and was pushed to her psychological limits to accurately convey his vision. Many scenes required a brutal number of takes, leading the public to question whether the methods Kubrick were using were ethical. Additionally, Stephen King himself (the writer of the book that this film was based on), criticized the movie for significantly deviating from his work. The mastery of this film does not discredit/minimize the very real, and abusive experiences the actors went through. Nevertheless, The Shining holds a special place in my heart for it's shock value, and is unlike any other horror film I've seen.




_.jpeg)





No comments:
Post a Comment