Hi angels!
Just a small heads up that this post will be centering around body image, so if that topic is triggering for you I'd skip reading this one. xx
As always, take care of yourself!
I've been noticing more and more that the body standard for women is becoming smaller. In fact, it almost resembles the "heroin chic" era of the 90s, which notoriously glamorized under eating and drug addiction to lose weight. However, rather than turning to drugs, people are instead reaching for peptides—specifically GLP-1s such as Ozempic.
I don't want to spend a ton of time discussing what peptides are, because that really isn't the point of this post. But, to provide some context here is a brief introduction: A peptide is essentially a fancy name for a chain of amino acids, which are naturally occurring chemical bonds that act as building blocks for the body. Peptides are used to signal and activate bodily responses, which has led them to be used in medical contexts. While there are a variety of applications, the most well known use of peptides is for weight loss.
A common argument in support of using peptides for weight loss is to claim that because amino acids exist naturally in the body, taking peptides should therefore be safe. However, this is a gross oversimplification. On the contrary, peptides are yet to be FDA approved for weight loss in any form, meaning that their distribution is not guaranteed to be ethical, effective, or safe. Even Ozempic, which is perhaps the most widely used GLP-1, is not FDA approved (it is only FDA approved for diabetes, not weight loss). Because of these concerns, and coupled with the fact that the majority of peptides are injectables, any minor error could fly under the radar until it proves fatal. Users cannot fully trust the reputability of distributers, and due to the lack of long-term studies we have no way of knowing the long term implications of routine peptide use.
The bottom line is this: Society (specifically the United States) is demanding that people, women, be thinner, and the average person would rather inject a shot than commit to a natural weight loss journey.
As someone who is adamantly against peptide/GLP-1 use (except in severe cases where taking a weight loss drug is recommended by a doctor), even I can understand why the need to be thin has gotten so out of hand. I myself have been trying to stick to a pretty rigorous health and diet routine recently, and while I do feel better both mentally and physically, I am seeing far fewer results than those who simply take peptides and forgo any other lifestyle changes. It is incredibly frustrating, and watching everyone lose weight unnaturally while my efforts seem to be in vein is disheartening.
Now, I know that the long term benefits of working out consistently and eating well will prove worth it in the end. I am creating healthy habits that will serve me in the long term, rather than turning to a "miracle cure" that has yet to be medically validated. However, that doesn't stop me from feeling bad about myself and comparing my body to people who are skinnier. In fact, I'd be lying if I said my body image issues haven't gotten exponentially worse since the rise of peptide usage.
I do want to make myself clear, that I am in no way trying to shame people who take peptides. There have been several instances in which I've thought to purchase them, and I know for a fact there are many people who have seen huge mental/physical improvements while using them. However, promoting peptides while claiming that they possess no risks is simply a lie, and the fact that they are being so widely advertised is incredibly harmful to people already struggling with body image issues.
The picture I've painted is pretty grim, and I recognize that. But discussing what the "Ozempidemic" is is not all I wanted to accomplish with this post. Rather, I really want to understand why this societal push to lose weight is happening, and what we can do about it.
I have two theories.
One: This was only a matter of time. It's no secret that bodies, women's bodies, are vehicles for cosmetic trends and have been for centuries. Pre-20th century for instance, curves and bigger bodies were more desirable, and were often seen as a sign of wealth. During the early 1920s, slimmer "flapper" body types became more popular, and so began an era of glamorized eating disorders and corsets. In the 80s, athletic builds gained popularity, only to return once again to a more "waifish" standard in the 90s. In the 21st century the standard has again been ever-changing, from curviness, to embracing body positivity, to extreme thinness, we have seen it all. All this is to say that the dramatic shift we have seen is not out of the ordinary, but rather is just another instance of societal standards being shaped by patriarchal factors.
Two: Increasing thinness is a direct reflection of the rise of fascism. Okay, I can admit that this take is a bit out there. I think it was while watching an interview of Hannah Einbinder that I first began thinking of this possibility. In the video, Einbinder posited that there is a direct correlation between increasing fascism and the desire to have smaller bodies. This is because literally, by becoming thinner women are taking up less space, and are subconsciously feeding into a rhetoric that devalues them. I don't know if there are any studies done on this relationship, but regardless I think it is a fascinating theory. As the United States is becoming more authoritarian, and our rights/autonomy as women are quickly slipping away, it isn't unreasonable to believe that thinness is a natural response.
I'm just a girl writing a blog, I don't have all the answers. However, I am sick and tired of feeling like my body is a trend, a political pawn, or a vehicle for overconsumption. The pressure to be skinny should not be so overwhelming that it forces healthy individuals to consider peptides.
Alone we are not powerful enough to upend a cycle of unattainable, harmful body standards, but that doesn't mean that we are powerless. We all need to take this time to self reflect upon what matters most to us: Immediate gratification or longterm health. We need to give ourselves and each other grace, and above all we need to rebel against fascism by choosing to love ourselves regardless of the current standard. Our bodies are allowed to take up space.


.webp)
No comments:
Post a Comment