Monday, August 3, 2026

Songs I am currently obsessed with

Hey angels! 

I love love love listening to music and discovering new artists, so I thought I'd share a few songs that are in my current rotation! My music taste is kind of all over the place, and I'll listen to anything from classical to rap, so this list is likely to reflect that. I heavily encourage you to check these songs out, and as always if you have any recommendations please let me know! xx


  • "As Far As I Can See"—Phantogram 
I have been listening to Phantogram for the past year or so, and am in love with their experimental sound design, ethereal vocals, and unique lyrics. I wouldn't really describe Phantogram as niche (maybe more so underrated), and they have a lot of popular songs that are more recognizable. "When I'm Small" and "Fall In Love" are some of their well-known songs, and for good reason. However, "As Far As I Can See" is probably my favorite song by them. This is mostly due to the incredibly rhythmic backing track that loops the vocals in such a way that they begin to sound like percussion. The melody itself is also upbeat, and is great for blasting in your car with the windows down on a sunny day. This song holds such a special place in my heart, is unlike anything I've ever heard before, and is great mood booster! 


  • "Principles of Lust"—Enigma
I can't believe I went so long without discovering Enigma, but I am so glad I did. Enigma's music combines different cultural elements (namely instruments and chants) beautifully, to create pieces that are ethereal, sensual, and enchanting. Their most popular song, "Sadeness" (which gained popularity on TikTok), is one of my all time favorites. More recently however, I have been obsessed with "Principles Of Lust", which shares many similar elements with the former. The vocals are breathy and softly spoken in the background, adding an almost erotic element to the piece (a signature that Enigma is controversially known for). With the use of a variety of sounds and instruments that layer on top of each other, listening to the song is truly an immersive experience. Although Enigma's music is a bit out there, if you do end up listening to this song, I promise you won't be disappointed! 


  • "Black Milk"—Massive Attack
Massive Attack's music is very similar to groups such as Radiohead and Portishead (if you like these bands PLEASE give Massive Attack a listen). Combining beautiful and sensual lyrics with instrumentals that at times have an eerie, dark quality, Massive Attack creates musical experiences that are unlike anything else. "Black Milk" in particular is, in my opinion, one of their best works. With outstanding and almost ghostly vocals by Elizabeth Fraser, coupled with their signature "trip-hop" instrumental, the song is basically perfect. The album this song comes from, Mezzanine, is one of my all time favorites for sure. Listening to "Black Milk" makes me feel incredibly contemplative, and to me the song feels like walking along a dark, cloudy beach, or driving through thick fog. "Black Milk" is as beautiful as it is unnerving, and opened my eyes to a genre of music I once never knew. 



  • "Depth Of My Soul"—Thievery Corporation
I actually just discovered this song a few days ago, it was one of those random Spotify choices that came up when my playlist ended. I'm so grateful that I found it though, because this song is wonderful. I'm a sucker for a dramatic minor-key song, and coupled with an almost "bossa-nova-like" melody and haunting, echoey vocals, this song is just so cool. I must admit, when I listen to a song for the first time I rarely focus on the lyrics (and instead focus on the instruments, melody, and overall "feel" of the song). I have to say though, the lyrics of "Depth Of My Soul" are incredibly compelling and descriptive. I'm yet to dive further into the discography Thievery Corporation, or Shana Halligan (the featured vocalist), but this song makes me want to find out more. If you appreciate dreamy, atmospheric songs, give this one a chance! 


  • "Terrified"—Childish Gambino
I'm a pretty casual Childish Gambino listener; I know his popular songs and a few more underground pieces, but not much else. However, when I stumbled upon this song one day, I was surprised that such an incredible piece had gone unnoticed by me for so long. If I could describe "Terrified" in a single word it would be hot. This song, like so many of his others, is just so sexy. A combination of Donald Glover's smooth, seductive voice, cool bass, and stunning use of the electric guitar creates such a warm, sensual listening experience. The chorus is outstanding, and the layering of different vocals and instruments is dramatic and punchy. If you have listened to Childish Gambino before, I highly recommend checking this song out (and the entire album for that matter)!

  
  • "Boyish"—Japanese Breakfast 
If you need a good song to cry to, give this one a listen. This piece is nothing short of devastating. The vocals are hauntingly beautiful, and the backing track is orchestral. Most of all however, the lyrics are just outstanding (and unfortunately feel all too real, intimate, and personal). Listening to lines such as "I want you and you want something more beautiful" or "If you don't like how I look, then leave" or "Lack of inhibition works wonders in revealing every demon" are especially hard-hitting. I remember my first time listening to this songs, and once I took in the depth of the lyrics I was overcome with emotions. This song makes me reminisce about an experience I haven't had, and is perfect for listening to alone in your room at night while sobbing. I love this song so much, and despite how sad it is it is incredibly beautiful. 

4 comments:

  1. thanks for this list i love finding new music!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Terrified has been on repeat for me for days now, such a good song ugh

    ReplyDelete

Most Recent Post!

Interior design features I'm loving right now

  Hello Angels! Going into my sophomore year of college, I am so excited to be living in an apartment with one of my best friends! One of th...

⋅˚₊‧ Scribble Wall ‧₊˚ ⋅